Friday, January 25, 2008

Clothes make the professor

Shortly after starting my tenure-track job, I had an epiphany while walking around campus in my jeans and T-shirt: I look just like all of them.

Since that day I have always made an effort to dress professionally for my job -- just collared shirts at first, but this year I've moved up to suit jackets (sans tie). I think it's working; I seem to get more respect from students, and even some compliments from colleagues.

Not everyone reacts positively. I'm not aware of anyone like this in my department, but for some reason, many professors view it as their God-given right to wear a burlap sack to work, and for them to dress nicely is to pervert academic freedom. I'm actually serious.

So it's nice to know that there are a few others of us out there.

3 comments:

norquay said...

Perhaps your original preference for t shirts and "Satan's cloth" was the remains of your rebellion against the man. I appreciate your candor as I'm going down that same path, though I still find the necktie to be the most unnerving piece of clothing (useless accessory?) to wear.

Andrew Eckford said...

I think it's more the fact that I AM the man now.

norquay said...

"I think it's more the fact that I am A man now".

FTFY

(Your ability to understand FTFY will determine if you are A man or The man).